Posted at 1 p.m. March 6, 2017

Three new UW transfer scholarships offered for students transferring to UW

“Once the students submit their grades they automatically go through a pipeline for transfer awards.”

Richard Ward

Academic Coordinator for UW Outreach

Three new University of Wyoming Transfer Scholarships offered

The University of Wyoming is offering three new transfer scholarships for students.

The specific requirements for these scholarships vary depending on the student’s state of residency and their grade point average.

Academic coordinator for UW Outreach for LCC, Richard Ward, gave information regarding all three scholarships.

The University of Wyoming Transfer Award is a scholarship for students that earn an associate degree at LCC and transfer to UW. It will be available to students Fall 2017.

It’s awarded to incoming resident, non-resident (excluding Nebraska residents), and international transfer students who do not qualify for the Western Undergraduate Exchange rate. The annual amount awarded will be $1,000.

The Western Undergraduate Exchange award is for students with a 3.4 GPA and associate degree. The students have to be from a Western Undergraduate Exchange state which are Arkansas, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Common Wealth of the North Mariana Islands and will pay tuition at 150 percent of the resident tuition rate for 2 years, with an annual value of $9,675. There is a non-refundable $40 admission application fee.

The third scholarship is the Nebraska Transfer Scholars Award. The requirements are for the student to have a 3.4 GPA and an associate degree. It’s only available to Nebraska residents that are first-time transfer students.

Back in 2014, the University of Wyoming had a graduation percentage of 54 percent, according to College Scorecard. These scholarships might be essential pieces for the school to improve their graduation percentage and gain more students to enroll.

A committee at UW made the awards and all students when applying for the scholarship are reviewed by them.

Students can apply to the scholarships through the UW official school website, Ward said. An official college transcript, proof of an associate degree and filled out application for admission are needed to apply for the scholarships.

“Once the students submit their grades, they automatically go through a pipeline for the transfer awards,” Ward said.


FAFSA applications due